Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Kitchen Idea love.

The new movie Julie and Julia is all the talk at the moment. Apparently its a wonderful movie. What has been noted though is Julia Child's kitchen. After all our kitchens are a workspace so why should they not be organised like one, hence Julia's pegboard which her husband made for her.
Image via Smithsonian.com

Each pot and pan has its shadow outline drawn so it always goes back in the right place. Even the pegboard colour is lovely.

I have an aversion to stacking pots as I invariably want the one on the bottom so this is a perfect solution for me. Now to renovate a kitchen and figure out how to work it in...

Julia donated her kitchen to the National Institute of American History but her pegboard was at a different institution in California until being reunited recently which coincided with the release of the movie.



3 comments:

  1. That is a fabulous idea! I'd love to do that when we move house - you could build it as a screen too... (maybe between kitchen and dining room?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that idea Anita! Even in an open plan kitchen I think you need a little bit obscured to hide the mess

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do a low-cost version of this with some handy rails and S-hooks from Ikea if, like me, you can't spare a whole wall. But those copper pans, puh-leeese. I worked as an au pair in France 25 years ago and I still have nightmares about polishing pans like that...

    ReplyDelete